Montreal’s at times beloved, at times despised STM network has been around since 1861, and since then, its development has been phenomenal. Now and then our view on the STM can be distorted by seeing poor bus conduct or horrible metro etiquette, there are still lots of positive aspects that can be said about this transport system. Knowing that we should accept the positive parts of life, we are here to inform you on how to make the most of STM in Montreal.
The STM, though cheaper than the public transit networks in other Canadian cities, can still be on the costly side. So, we’ve discovered ways to save you money and more.
This list includes how to get STM updates, the various versions of OPUS cards, and exclusive deals you probably didn’t have any idea once you have an OPUS card.
We decided not to write discounts regarding the student fare, as we assume most already know about it.
And now here is the list of STM hacks.
OPUS à L’Année
OPUS à l’année is a subscription program for full fare payers. You will receive automatic monthly payments from either your credit card or bank debit when you subscribe, so you never have to think about the trouble of going to a machine to pay for each new month. Also, you will receive a new free OPUS card, so that’s a bonus.
You can cancel your subscription at any time, if you decide that it is not for you.
For more information click here.
OPUS & Cie
OPUS & Cie is a program that is designed for companies that want their employees to use public transport. 300 employers are participating in the program.
If you are an employee of a company that is apart of the OPUS & CIE program, you will get up to a 10% discount, which is equal to one month of transit for free.
Consider telling your boss about this initiative, and maybe you can persuade them to take part in it! This means you and all of your colleagues will save money.
The STM Maestro Status is similar to the black OPUS cards.
The STM website states, “If you have subscribed to either the OPUS à l’année or the OPUS & Cie program for more than twelve months (regular fare), you could be entitled to Maestro status as of January 2013 and enjoy even more transit-related benefits.”
The advantages of obtaining a Maestro Status are:
- Getting to bring a friend on the metro with you for free after 6 p.m. on weekdays and all day on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Your OPUS card will also work for Réseau de transport de la Capitale (RTC), the transportation system in Québec City.
STM Update Texts, Emails & Tweets
- If the metro has a delay of 10 minutes or longer, you can sign up here to receive an email or text message.
- If you’re a Twitter user you can track the Green Line, the Orange Line, the Blue Line, and the Yellow Line on their official Twitter accounts.
STM Exclusive Deals
Having an OPUS card is a blessing because it makes getting so easy almost anywhere in Montreal.
Having an OPUS card, or even a valid STM fare ticket, you can get all of the following exclusive deals.
- 10% off tickets and snacks at Cinema Beaubien.
- 20% off Zoo Ecomuseum entry fees.
- 2$ off tickets for Montreal’s MAC museum.
- 2 for 1 admission to St. Joseph’s Oratory.
- 10% off of a list of purchases at Uniprix Henri-Bourassa–Millen on Mondays and Tuesdays.
- And more!
You can look at the full list of exclusive deals here.
Getting a job with the STM is the real hack. The starting pay for bus drivers is $25.72 an hour.
Not only will you receive a salary from the STM, but also you will get free transportation with the following networks:
- Transport company of Montreal (STM)
- Transport company of Laval (STL)
- Longueuil transport company (RTL)
- Commuter trains and bus service formerly operated by CIT (EXO)
- The transportation network of the capital (Quebec)
On top of that STM employees also receive a pension plan, reimbursement on a percentage of school tuition for specific essential careers, vacation benefits, benefits for their partners and children, and more!
If you want to learn more about working for the STM, take a look at its website.
La Boutique STM
This does not exactly fit the “hack” category, but if you’re an STM fan, you’ll be happy to know there’s an official STM boutique. It is located at 9494 blvd. St-Laurent #900.
This store has everything from water bottles to tote bags.
Check out their website!
If you ever need a place to stay in Montreal, check out Trylon for all-inclusive apartments.